Monday 7 November 2011

Beachy & Romantic Bedroom Makeover Post (a long one!)

Welcome to my new beachy bedroom!

Ok, I don't live on the beach exactly, but a girl can dream right?

Looking around our bedroom recently I thought it was high time I get my creative brain into gear and redecorate!  Sure, I'd have to keep my husband (and tiny budget) in mind, but also it needed an injection of light, dreams and...dare I say it...girlieness!

So, to begin with I looked at our gorgeous white scroll bed and plain walls and decided to add the first effect - Dreaminess & Colour.

For the dreaminess, I trolled through eBay (a girls best friend) and found exactly what I was looking for - a slushy wall decor quote, apt for my husband and I without too much mush!

And for the Colour, I spent an hour at my local quilting store selecting some gorgeous fabrics for a bunting to hang above the wall quote and bedhead for some much needed colour and romantic style!

As much as I would have liked to go all out with the fabric (pink!  floral!  pink!  floral!) I decided to find a middle ground and restrained myself enough to only pick out one floral, one pink, and tone the whole lot down with some duck egg blue & white polka dots, red gingham and blue & white stripes.  A nice overall splash of colour for our plain walls and little space above our bedhead.

Part one, tick!

Next, I worked on finding some vintage bedside tables to replace our nice-but-plain-and-run-of-the-mill Ikea ones.  Luck was upon me when I quickly found these...ahem...beauties...selling on eBay only 10kms away...and I got them for a steal!

Okay, so you've really got to look past the flaking black paint and cobwebs and see the beautiful shape underneath...what these could be...and then come on a journey of days of cleaning, sanding, priming, painting and distressing with me!

Step one, drive 10kms away and collect.
Step two, bring home (flutter eye lids at husband, get him to carry in)
Step three, try not to cry when realising how much cleaning there is to do
Step four, get over yourself and clean the item up
Step five, Ah Ha!  Realise you can skip the sanding stage (happy dance ensues) as paint in good condition and will (hopefully) add to overall effect
Step six, prime and prime again (love Taubmans 3in1 primer)
Step seven, paint white (Dulux's oil based enamel in Lexicon Quarter) and Aqua (that's a secret colour...or else I've forgotten to write it down, one of the two ;-)
Step eight, line the drawers with girlie, floral wall paper for a fresh new look
Step nine, my favourite, distress distress distress!




And, once carried upstairs, decorated and looked at, I realise something.  I love them!

I quickly made over our table lamps with some fabric off cuts from the bunting...

Pink gingham for mine...                                         And red gingham for Misters...

Threw some happy photos up on the walls...



And last, but not least, in what I thought would be a speedy project....I spent nights bent over a canvas to come up with a Bus Scroll Style painting of the favourite places we've travelled together in the last ten years...something to envoke happy memories and future dreaming!



All in all, a cheap and changing room make over to give us more light and ability to smile every morning!



Sara X




No comments:

Post a Comment