Monday 7 November 2011

Dining Room Makeover

Far and away, this is my biggest upcycling project to date and took many many child free days to complete!

So much sanding I never wanted to see my beloved belt sander again...

So much paining my arms shaked...

So much cleaning I began to think a dusty house was just what I wanted after all.

But of course, as I neared the end of this project, and began my beloved process of distressing, it was all worth it!

I love the end result, and how much it has transformed a dark, overcrowded room into a light and fresh space we all want to be in!


 


Before shots :-(

For this room I wanted to tie the whole look together with similar colours, but not have the furniture all the same.  So for the table, I sanded the top back to the lovely recycled pine it is then washed it white.  I painted the table legs and sides pale French grey, covered that with many many layers of my favourite happy white and got to distressing the legs and sides, letting both the pine and pale grey peep through.

For the eight chairs, I painted two of each the following complementing colours - happy white, pale French grey, pale duck egg blue & pale beachy blue.  Then I distressed them all to look like they'd had years of wear and tear!
For the dresser, I primed, then painted it pale French grey.  After this, I dry brushed with happy white and finished it with lots of distressing.  I painted the inside panelling Antique White USA and dry brushed with a bit of pale grey for good measure.




Aside from distressing, my favourite part of this long project was dressing the cabinet with all the little knick knacks I'd been collecting. 

At first, with some restraint...

Adding more and more as I went along...


Coming back every few hours to move things oh-so-slightly to get them just as I wanted them...

 Some beachy here, shabby there, and lots of my obsession with vintage white jugs! 

Nautical Dreaming

Just Beachy!


 
Home Style



 

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous, Sara. This looks very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara you are amazing. The dining room makeover is stunning!!!! Great website, and beautiful pieces of art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love love love it, wow!

    ReplyDelete